Sunday, July 3, 2011

Spreading My Wings

Have you ever had an idea bouncing around in your head, but didn't give it much thought until someone else did it first?  That's me.  I gave a passing thought to wondering how the techniques and tools I use in scrapbooking could carry over to into other realms of my crafting world.  I often see things in stores and think, "I could do that!", look at the price and think again, "Really?  I could do that - for alot less!" so I pass it up.  I promptly forget that fabulous idea... until I see someone else has done exactly what I thought!



That's what happened to me just recently.  My friend, Maggie (follow her blog, Passionately Artistic), showed me a t-shirt she altered for her daughter.  I really liked it, and thought, "I could do that".  Only this time I followed through!

So here's what I did... I bought a plain t-shirt in a style I liked.  I got more t-shirt fabric (could be repurposing a t-shirt you no longer wear or purchase new yardage - 1/8th of a yard should do) to coordinate with my new shirt.  I also got a small remanent of green cotton fabric that matched well and thread to coordinate with the green.  I found fabric paint (I like Tulip Matte Soft Fabric Paint) in a complimentary color, a small sponge brush, Fray-Check, and fabric glue (permanent, washable -  like Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac).  I also got freezer paper (or wax paper would work too).  I pulled out my Cuttlebug (or whatever die cut system you own) and my dies.  I chose a layered flower and a leafy vine from Sizzix).  I picked a variety of buttons (I kept to pink and silver) in different shapes and sizes and coordinating thread.  I like lace as a detail, so I picked up a packet of Wright Flexi-Lace Hem Tape in a coordinating color (to use in place of a ribbon).  I found my needles and scissors, oh, and I pulled out my rubber stamps!
The supplies...

First I cut my shapes out of the fabric.  To do this I cut the fabric into squares the size of the die.  I also cut scrap paper (I chose colors that I would use, like pinks for flowers and greens for the vines) to the size of the dies.  Blade side up, I placed one layer of fabric and then a sheet of scrap paper on top of the fabric (the paper is important, don't skip this part!).  I cut the die as normal, repeating until I had the desired number of flowers and vines - oh and a couple of extras in case I screwed something up later on).  In determining the number of flowers and vines, I guessed.  I kept cutting and dry-placing them until I got the desired effect.

Next I painted half of the flowers.  To do this I squirted the Tulip fabric paint onto a paper plate and  slightly diluted it with water.  For some flowers, I dipped the edges of the flowers in the paint.  For others (here's the fun part!) I used my rubber stamps!  I dabbed the sponge brush in the paint and lightly brushed over the stamp, ensuring coverage, but not too heavy. I then stamped on some of the flowers, letting them dry thoroughly before the next step.  To clean the stamps, I simply washed away the wet paint with tap water.

Next, I used the Fray-Check along the edges of the vines, to keep the cotton fabric from fraying.  This was more messy than I had anticipated.  I used freezer paper (or wax paper)  to lay them on to dry.

While waiting for everything to dry - and this is an IMPORTANT STEP - I cut freezer paper (or wax paper) big enough to slide inside the t-shirt to separate the front from the back.  If you're using freezer paper (which I also use for another t-shirt/cricut technique),  place the shiny side up.  This way if the glue seeps through the fabric when you are gluing the shapes down, it won't glue the front to the back!

Once the painted flowers were dry,  I placed them, and the dry vines, on the shirt, playing with placement until I liked what I saw.  When the design was set, then I glued them down (way messy! - keep washing your hands and if you have acrylic/pink & white nails, they could be compromised by the acetone in the glue, so do it close to manicure day :-) ).

One set of my buttons had slots instead of holes, so I pulled the hem lace through and tied bows, securing the bows with a dap of glue and adding Fray-Check to the cut edges.  I then glued the buttons to the centers of the flowers.  When the buttons were dry, I went back and sewed them on...both for looks and for added security.

Finally, I added stitching to the centers of the leaves to give them dimension and interest.  And as they say in France: "Et, Voila!"  A cute shirt that would cost a fortune at a trendy boutique!


The finished shirt

Detail of painting, stamping, stitching and buttons.

So what do you think of this "scrapbook shirt"?  The technique has so many possibilities!  Can you imagine the effect using music notes, or birds, or wow...any shape?!!!  Get your creative juices flowing and try it out!  Until next time...go crop yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment