Monday, February 21, 2011

Jumping in the Pool

Well, today it is 80 degrees in Florida.  Such a lovely pre-spring day!  I know many of you are snowed in, but let this blog carry you away to a warmer climate!  Today we are going to begin a series called "Jumping in the Pool".

For first time and new croppers, I remember how anxious I was to just do something, to make a page, to show something for the money I've invested in scrapbook supplies and tools.  So, today we are going to jump in!  I have created the following layout and will share with you the step-by-step directions on how to put it together.  It really is very simple, so don't be intimidated if you're just beginning!

For experienced croppers, I've written the directions for those who are new to the craft, so please forgive some of the steps more experienced croppers take for granted.

Usually when I decide to sit down and crop, I start with a particular picture in mind.  The picture I am using for this exercise was chosen not because it is a flattering picture (because it is anything but!), but because it has a strong color sense.  That is to say, the colors that go with this photo are easy to pick out.  I find that the layouts I am drawn to are pleasing to the eye in many ways, one of which is how well the colors accent an emphasize the photo.

The next thing I do is try to mentally map out how my page is going to look.  Often I refer to binders that I keep of pictures of layouts that appeal to me.  Another way to map out a page is to use a sketch.  A sketch is generally a black and white drawing of how a layout is put together.  There are a lot of sketches available on internet scrapbook sites, such as Scrapbook.com (I love perusing their gallery!).   Just for fun, I created a sketch for our dip in the pool today.  Let call it... Sketch #1.

Next, I gathered my supplies, including my photo.  I selected a base paper (the butterfly paper), a contrast paper (the royal blue), grounding paper (blue stripes) and accent paper (yellow dot).  I am crafting a 12" x 12" layout so all papers are 12" square (approximately 30 centimeters).


DESIGN TIP:
Work in odd numbers.  For instance, I have chosen 3 colors (yellow, blue & cream).  Below you will see I chose 3 different size flowers, in the 3 colors.  In repeating the colors around the page, they should repeat in odd numbers (1, 3, 5. etc).

Then using the colors of the paper, I selected my embellishments.  I will be using Thickers Foam Letters, a large cream colored flower, 3 medium yellow flowers, 3 small blue flowers, light blue crystals, a key (from a K&Co packet), light blue ribbon, royal blue glitter paint, 4 crystal flourishes, rubber stamp letters, blue ink pad, acrylic stamp block, 2 cream colored paper heart cut outs and a square with fancy cut edges.  The hearts and square were cut on my Cuttlebug Diecut machine with a Cuttlebug die (hearts) and a Bosscut die (square).

Next, I gathered my tools.  I will be using my paper slicer, scissors, adhesive tape, royal blur thin line felt pen, Xacto knife, paper piercer (which I use for so much more than piercing paper!), edge punch, Zots in small, medium and 3-D, butterfly punch and my trusty ruler.  Last but not least is my graphed cutting mat.

Next we start in earnest! Ready to create?  Standing on the edge of the pool yet?  Plug your nose, close your eyes and let's jump in!

Knowing that I want to embellish some of the plainer paper elements with ink, I am going to work on those first.  Grab the cream paper hearts, the cream paper square, the rubber stamp, the acrylic block, the ink and the blue pen.
Let's start with the hearts.  My plan is to "monogram" the hearts with my hubby's (hereafter referred to "DH" in scrapbooking lingo) and my first initials.  The acrylic rubber stamps are like "cling-ons".  They magically adhere to acrylic block.  Stick the letter to the block.  Then, rather than inverting the block and blotting on the ink, invert the ink pad and blot on the letter.  You will have better control of your inking this way.  Once inked, stamp your heart in the normal way.  I use wet wipes to clean my stamp once I'm done using a stamp.

Next we're going to edge the hearts with the royal blue pen.  A simple way to edge is to alternate dots and dashes.

Set the hearts aside to dry, and we'll begin work on the square journaling box.

We'll be using the same ink and blue pen, so keep those out.  We will be edging the square with the ink to highlight the pretty detailing.  This technique is difficult to capture with a still photo, so I will do my best to describe how to do it in writing.  Before working on your embellishment, you may want to use some scrap paper to practice to perfect your technique.

Hold the paper in your left hand (if your right-handed, the opposite if you're a lefty) so the edge of the paper is kind of stiff.  In your right hand take the inkpad and brush against the edge of the paper so it just colors the edge, kind of like if you were filing your nail - in one downward motion at a time.

When the ink around the edge is dry, use the pen to complete your journaling.

Now we'll start work on constructing the page itself!

Next, pull out the base paper (in my case that would be the butterfly paper) and the grounding paper (the blue stripe).  Have the template handy to refer to, as well.


I like the pattern of the butterflies on the base paper, so I want to measure to be sure we don't cover the pattern up.  This is where the ruler comes in handy!

The measurement between the butterflies on the left and the butterflies on the right is 7 1/2 inches (19 centimeters), so we'll cut the blue striped ground paper into a square of 7 1/2" x 7 1/2".

Now we are going to put adhesive on the back of the striped paper and affix to the base paper.  For new croppers, you do not need to cover the back of the paper with wall-to-wall adhesive.  Make sure you've affixed your tape at the corners and since this paper is a bit heavier, I am going to put a little in the center of each edge and a bit in the center.  (You do not need to outline in pencil where the tape goes, I merely did that for demonstration purposes, since it is clear.  :-) ).

Now we are going to place the ground paper.  Again, the gridded mat and the ruler will come in handy in ensuring the ground paper is square on the page.  

DESIGN TIP:
You may want to use a fine pencil and dry-place the paper, marking where the corners should go before you lay it down with adhesive.  While the adhesive is somewhat removable, it can tear some papers when you try to reposition it. 

DESIGN TIP:
Be conscious of the designs on the paper and the direction of the photo, as well as the tilt of the photo.  The photo I chose faces to the left.  My layout faces to the left.  The tilt should not pitch the subjects forward, but rather lean them back.  The diagonal stripe should point to the bottom center of the scrapbook. Imagine this layout placed on the left page of the scrapbook; the stripes will point to the bottom center.

OK...  Now we will build the next layer.  You'll need the royal blue paper, the yellow paper and the ribbon, along with the paper slicer and the edge punch.  We'll make the blue scalloped trim first.

When using an edge punch, it is recommended you start in the middle of the edge; the 6" mark in this case.
After you make the initial punch, slide the paper to the left, and line up the markings on the punch with the pattern punched from the paper. And punch again.  Repeat across the whole edge of the paper.

Next, we are going to line up the scalloped edge on the paper slicer at the 1" mark and cut the strip. Set the rest of the blue paper aside.  We'll use more of it later.

 With the yellow dot paper, cut a 2" strip.

Next we need to roll the adhesive tape along the straight edge of the blue scalloped strip - on the right side of the paper.  Then top the blue strip with the yellow strip, about 1/2" from the edge of the scallop.

Now we are going to add the ribbon to this strip.  Cut the ribbon 14" long - to allow for wrap around.  The ribbon I chose happens to have a strip of adhesive already on it, so all I have to do is remove the cellophane strip.  If the ribbon I chose were "naked" (never thought I'd use that word in a blog!) I would just run my tape across the wrong side of the ribbon.  Line up the ribbon just under the scallops, using the graph mat to ensure a straight line.



To secure the ribbon, flip the strip over an stick to the backside.  With thicker ribbons, especially ones I have to add adhesive to, I add a small strip of scotch tape to secure the ends on the backside.

The strip needs to be attached to the already constructed page.  Find the 6" point at the top of the page and the bottom of the page.  If you don't have a grid mat, lightly mark the 6" points with a pencil.  Affix with a few swipes of the adhesive at the top and bottom of the strip, and a few spots along the long sides. Match the straight edges of the yellow paper with the pencil marks...with the blue scallop on the right side.  The blue stripe paper should show on the right side of the scallop.  

We're almost there!  One more piece to cut and put together before we dive into our creativity!

A layout isn't much without a photo.  There are different kinds of layouts, some with many pictures, others with just one picture.  Regardless of the number of pictures in a layout, placement is always an important piece of the layout.  You will need your photo and the scrap of blue paper we set aside earlier.

In this layout we are using only one picture.  It is a 5" x 7" picture.  I found it to have more grey area at the top and sides than I find appealing, so I trimmed the photo to 4" x 5".  

I also find that I prefer the look of grounded photos, so I have used the blue paper cut 1/4" longer that the width and length to create a mat around the photo to ground it.  Put adhesive in the corners of the backside of the photo, center it on the paper with 1/8" all around and adhere.

To place the photo in the layout, it is easiest to have the sketch next to you.  You may want to use your pencil to light mark the corners of where the photo should be placed before you add your adhesive and affix the photo to the layout.

Now we are getting somewhere, it is starting to look like a layout, but you can see how plain it looks.  This is where you get to dive into your creativity!  Following is a photo series of the steps in adding the embellishments.

 I used the 3-D zots to affix the journaling block on the bottom right corner of the blue striped paper.

Next, I placed the large cream colored flower in the lower right corner of the picture, using the 3-D zots.

We'll follow that up with the placement of the hearts and the key.  O used the medium zots (1 each) for the hearts and a small zot at either end of the key.  Be careful that the zots don't show on the front.  They are extremely sticky and will stick to everything, which can be a blessing when it comes to adhering things, and a challenge when they stick to something you don't want stuck!

We'll fill in this display with the smaller flowers.  Using a triangle shape (the less equilateral, the better), we'll add the blue and yellow flowers.  Notice that the blue flowers do not exactly match the placement of the yellow flowers, but still follow the triangle rule.

I love adding bling (rhinestones) to floral displays.  I favor clear rhinestone flourishes, but colored rhinestones can look very pretty too, when they coordinate with the layout.  Also very pretty are pearl flourishes.  I used clear flourishes in this layout to add a little twinkle.

The next detail we are going to add is a dimensional butterfly.  Pull out your blue scrap again and punch a butterfly.  Have the blue glitter glue, blue rhinestones and small rhinestone flourish ready.

 I fold the butterfly in half to give it flight.  Next I adhere it to the page, using a small zot in the center.

Once the butterfly is adhered, edge the wings with the blue glitter glue.  It is easier to do this way because you won't have to hold to.  Just go slow and it will turn out beautiful.

Next add 3 small light blue rhinestones to the body of the butterfly.

And finally, add the small rhinestone flourish as the trail of the butterfly.

The last piece of the page is the title.  I used royal blue glittered foam Thickers brand letters.  I chose a simple title, "Us".


Ta Da!  You've done it- you've created the layout for Sketch 1!

Don't be discouraged if yours doesn't turn out like mine.  I think looking at layouts and sketches is often time inspiration for our own creativity.  Following are some more layouts I've created off of this same sketch.  Notice how the sketch rotates.  I've included close-ups so you can see details.

Notice in this next layout, "Family", the sketch has rotated to the right 90 degrees.  On Family, I used chipboard flourishes that I've recovered with matching paper and inked, instead of rhinestones.  I also used glitter paint to highlight a pattern in the yellow paper that mimics the sun, for tis layout of the southernmost point.  The paper colors were pulled from the photo (the aqua is actually the color of the water!).  Rule of three colors: Brick Red, Warm Yellow and Aqua.

In this layout, "7th Grade Band", the sketch has rotated again, so the strip is at the top of the page.  Instead of the scallop punch, I used this music note punch. There are fewer flowers, but the detail is in the black glittery chipboard flourishes and rhinestone music notes. Notice the monochromatic layout still follows the rule of three of choice or color: Black, Grey and White.



And last but not least, I wanted to show you can create the same layout without flowers or rhinestones!  On "Handsome Guy" I've used an acetate owl, a tag, a longer title with a mixture of adhesive letters and chipboard letters, extra ribbon and a journaling card along with a chipboard flourish to add details.  Rule of three... colors: orange, green and brown.



I hope this lesson has inspired you jump in your pool pf creativity!  Follow me and leave your comments!

1 comment:

  1. Katie, welcome to the world of blogs! I love your tutorial! Great job on the layouts and explaining them. I'm a new follower and looking forward to more posts and inspiration from you. BTW, I am in Florida too...near Jacksonville.

    ReplyDelete