Sunday, February 27, 2011

Doing the Butterfly

Hello!  Next in the series "Jumping in the Pool" is "Doing the Butterfly".  I've created another sketch and put together 3 layouts following the sketch on different rotations.  I titled this blog "Doing the Butterfly" because upon reviewing the layouts - they all had a butterfly tucked in somewhere!

Sketch #2 is circles and rectangles.  It looked really cool when I drew it up but I did find it challenging when it came to applying it.  Good thing I'm always up for a challenge!  :-)

On "Smiles and Laughter"  I've interpreted sketch # 2 with some old papers from various collections and wonderful prima crystal flourishes and flowers.  I also used colored crystals as the centers of the flowers.  

The next interpretation is "Delight in the Little Things" and rotates the sketch 180 degrees.  I used a kit with coordinating papers and embellishments for this layout. I also used a technique that I like alot - stitching.  Check back and I'll have a tutorial on stitching!

And here's a close-up of the stitching:

And the final interpretation is titled "Remember You are So Beautiful to Me".  On this layout I rotated the sketch 90 degrees. And as with any sketch, you do not need to follow it precisely. Sketches are wonderful inspiration.  Often times I start out with a sketch and as I am putting it together it takes on a life of its own!  In this interpretation I decided to use doilies instead of circles.  I don't get my doilies at the scrapbook store - I get them at the grocery store and yes! they are acid free!  As you can see I even changed the medium circle to a heart doily.  The smallest doily is simply the center of the biggest doily cut out using my Xacto knife.  

"But doilies are white..." you say?  Well, here's a tip: Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist!  Glimmer Mist is a water based paint with a wonderful shimmer.  It comes in a small pump bottle and the most glorious colors.  On these doilies I used Suede Glimmer Mist. I will have a tutorial on some of the fun ways you can add color to your layouts with Glimmer Mist - so be sure to check back!
Another way this layout has been interpreted is I tore the accent papers and inked them.  I also used dimensional sticker flowers and the "Remember" title from K&Co.  The "You are So Beautiful to Me" is on an acetate that I got a long time ago and was just waiting for the right layout to use.  I used a Sizzix die to cut the green flourishes.  Following are some close up of the details:


Remember to check back - I'll have some tutorial posts for stitching and using Glimmer Mist!  Until the next post - go crop yourself!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment